If you are in immediate danger, please call 911
January is National Stalking Awareness Month and it is fundamental to alert the society that stalking should be taken seriously. Classifying as a childish behavior and ignoring the signs of being stalked are very common behaviors in our society, however, a lot of cases can quickly escalate and the victim can end up abused and/or dead.
According to the Stalking National Center, about 7.5 millon people are stalked in one year in United States.
- 61% of this number are female victims are stalked by a current or former intimate partner.
- 76% of intimate partner femicide* victims have been stalked by their intimate partner.
- 67% had been physically abused by their intimate partner.
- 89% of femicide victims who had been physically assaulted had also been stalked in the 12 months before their murder.
- 79% of abused femicide victims reported being stalked during the same period that they were abused.
- 54% of femicide victims reported stalking to police before they were killed by their stalkers.
Unfortunately, threatening, attacking, assaulting and killing are situations suffered by the victims. Stalkers can be unpredictable and dangerous. In addition, their behaviors do not follow a partner; they can start an indirect communication by texting and suddenly be at the victim’s doorstep.
So, if you are a victim suffering from being stalked, what should you do about it?
The guide has several safety tips such as:
- Have a phone nearby at all times, preferably one to which the stalker has never had access. Memorize emergency numbers, and make sure that 911 and helpful family or friends are on speed dial.
- Vary routines, including changing routes to work, school, the grocery store, and other places regularly frequented.
- Do not interact with the person stalking or harassing you. Responding to stalker’s actions may reinforce their behavior.
Being well-informed and prepared will keep you safer.
Help us to raise awareness about stalking. It is real and must be taken seriously. If you were stalked and would like to share your story with us. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
1. the act of killing a woman, as by domestic partner
or a member of a criminal enterprise
2. massacre of women and girls